1 stick (4 oz.) unsalted butter
7 bars (3.5 oz. each) semisweet chocolate –
12 oz. chopped, 7.5 oz. cut into 1-inch
squares and the rest for garnish
1 ½ cups flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cups light brown sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and chopped chocolate, stirring frequently, over
medium heat. Let cool for 15 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla at low speed until smooth, 2
minutes. Mix in the cooled chocolate mixture just until blended. Add the flour mixture in 2
batches, mixing on low speed until just combined. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a
tablespoon, scoop the dough and roll between your palms to form 1-inch balls. Arrange
about 16 balls 2 inches apart on each cookie sheet, flattening slightly. Bake until the tops of
the cookies crack, about 12 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, snip 8 marshmallows in half crosswise and stick 1 square of chocolate onto
each of the cut sides.
6. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven; gently press a marshmallow half, chocolate side
down, into each cookie. Bake until the marshmallows are just softened, about 4 minutes.
Transfer the pans to racks to cool for 5 minutes; grate the remaining chocolate over the hot
cookies. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to the racks; let cool. Repeat the process with